- 1/2 cup light vegetable oil such as sunflower, safflower OR extra-virgin olive oil 1
- /4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple juice OR apple cider
- 2 to 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon real lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 medium (about 1 pound) firm sweet-tart NC Apples, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 12 ounces salad greens spring mix, baby spinach, arugula, baby romaine, OR a combo of your favorites
- 1 cup pecan halves toasted or candied
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries OR dried cherries
- 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese OR feta
To prepare Apple Cider Vinaigrette, measure oil, apple cider vinegar, apple juice/cider, honey, lemon juice, salt, and pepper into a mason jar. Tightly screw on lid and shake vigorously until everything is thoroughly combined.
Place apple slices in a large plastic bag and squeeze the fresh lemon juice (from the lemon half) over them. Close bag and shake to coat. In a large salad bowl, layer salad greens, apple slices, pecans, dried cranberries, and blue cheese or feta. Just before serving, dress with desired amount of Apple Cider Vinaigrette and toss until salad ingredients are evenly coated.
Notes: You may prep the individual components of this salad ahead of time and then assemble everything just before serving.
Recipe by Samantha Skaggs